Thursday, November 17, 2011

Holiday Shipping Options

Everything seems little bit more hectic during the holiday season, doesn't it? We all know that we should start our shopping early to make sure that we can find everything we need and get it shipped to wherever it needs to go in time for gift giving, but life gets in the way of good intentions. So, I thought I'd share some holiday shipping info that might help for USA domestic shipping.

All of this information is for relatively light items (like my jewelry!). 

USPS First Class Mail
 

  • For packages under 13 ounces
  • Cost is approximately US $2.40 in my shop (including postage, packaging)
  • Delivery is NOT guaranteed for any given time frame
Most first class domestic mail service arrives in the continental US in 3 to 5 days. The US Postal Service has published that First Class mail shipped on 12/20 will arrive in time for Christmas (12/25). 

This however, sounds a bit optimistic to me. I'm suggesting that shipping occur by 12/9 (2 weeks in advance) in order to arrive by 12/25. Remember Christmas is on a Sunday this year, and there's no mail delivery on Sunday.

USPS Priority Mail 
  • No weight limit as long as it fits in the Small Priority Mail box
  • Cost is approximately US $5.00 
  • Delivery is NOT guaranteed for any given time frame
Priority mail service is essentially the same as First Class except that Priority Mail tends to get priority over first class mail if there are capacity issues on the truck/plane etc. During the holidays when mail volume is higher than normal, Priority Mail makes a lot of sense to help ensure your package goes out faster.The US Postal Service has published that Priority mail shipped on 12/21 will arrive in time for Christmas (12/25).

This too, sounds a bit optimistic to me. I'm suggesting that shipping occur by 12/16 (1 week in advance) in order to arrive by 12/25. 
I offer to upgrade shipping to Priority Mail for the holidays for an additional US $2.50. Choose the option under the "Shipping Upgrades" section in my shop. Please NOTE: I offer these upgrades in my Etsy shop as well, but cannot do a listing. Contact me there if you need an update and I'll send a separate invoice. 

FedEx Express Shipping - Home Delivery - 2 business day shipping option
  • 1 pound or less
  • Cost is approximately US $9.00
  • Delivery IS guaranteed as 2 business day for home delivery
Fedex offers many express shipping options. The most affordable one that I have found is the Home Delivery 2 Business Day. 

For the holidays, Fedex has published that 12/17 is the cutoff for this express shipping to arrive by 12/25. Since it is guaranteed, this is the date I would use as well. Ready to Ship orders must be placed by me by noon on 12/17 for me to be able to package and drop off with Fedex on the 17th. 

I offer the Fedex upgrade option for my customers as well at an additional cost of US $7.50
 Choose the option under the "Shipping Upgrades" section in my shop. Please NOTE: I offer these upgrades in my Etsy shop as well, but cannot do a listing. Contact me there if you need an update and I'll send a separate invoice. 

Other Fedex Options
Regular Fedex 2 day shipping deadline is 12/22 for 12/25 delivery. The cost for this option varies depending on location but I've seen it in the US $40.00-US $50.00 range. 

I offer this upgrade option as well but would need to have it requested and quoted due to the variabiltiy of cost. You can contact me directly using the "Contact Me" link under my shop name for these quotes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment